What’s the difference between a call option and put option?
An option is a financial instrument that gives you the right but not the obligation to buy or sell a specific underlying financial instrument at a specific price within a set period of time.
All “financial instrument” means is something that can be bought and sold. Once you buy an option, you can resell it to another investor for a profit or loss.
Also, notice that options give you a “right” — not an obligation. That is, you choose whether or not you want to exercise that right. An option gives you “the right to buy or sell a specific underlying instrument”… but not both.
When you buy the option, you must choose whether you expect to profit from a rise or fall in the price of the underlying stock.
If you expect the stock to rise, you buy what’s called a “call option.”
If you expect it to fall, you buy a “put option.”
But first, there are a few things you should know…
Every stock option — no matter what stock it’s for — allows you to control 100 shares of stock. Unlike when you buy a stock, however, buying options limits your risk. You lose only the amount you paid to buy the options. And your profits are practically limitless.
For more information on options investing, click here to view our primer.
- How To Trade Our Research
- How do I remove my subscription from automatic renewal?
- What is Jim Rickards' Intelligence Triggers?
- How do I cancel a renewal of my subscription?
- Who is Bill Bonner?
- I have a Comcast email address. How do I add your email address to my safe senders list?
- What is Lifetime Income Report?
- How do I unsubscribe?
- What is the 5 Minute Forecast?
- How can I the find the expiration date of my subscription?
- About Agora Financial
- Agora Financial Reserve Memberships
- Credit Card Statement Information
- Emails from Agora Financial
- Exchanges (Coinbase & Bittrex)
- Frequent Investment Questions
- Fund Transfers
- General Crypto Questions
- Getting Started with my Subscription
- My Account Information
- My Privacy
- Need More Help?
- Orders and Payments
- Publications and Editors
- Refund Policies
- Subscription Renewal
- Using the Website
- Wallets (Trezor)