Why doesn’t Coinbase work in Hawaii?
This all comes down to regulatory restrictions in Hawaii. Officials want Coinbase to hold fiat currency equal to the amount of cryptocurrency in their users’ accounts. So as of this writing, Coinbase would be required to hold $4,231 for every 1 Bitcoin owned by Coinbase users. Rather than tackle that burden, Coinbase asked users to close their accounts, and has blocked new accounts from being made.
Here’s an excerpt from the Coinbase website explaining why they shut down accounts…
“Although Coinbase securely maintains 100% of all customer funds on behalf of our customers, it is impractical, costly, and inefficient for us to establish a redundant reserve of fiat currency over and above customer digital currency secured on our platform.”
One solution for Hawaii residents is another online wallet called Kraken. Their support team told us that Hawaii user accounts are supported.
- How To Trade Our Research
- How do I remove my subscription from automatic renewal?
- How do I unsubscribe?
- What is my refund policy?
- How can I the find the expiration date of my subscription?
- When will I be charged for automatic renewal?
- Who is Bill Bonner?
- Does my subscription come with an automatic renewal option?
- What is the 5 Minute Forecast?
- How and when will my money be returned to me?
If you are having trouble and cannot find the information you are looking for, please contact us and we will respond as soon as possible.Contact Us
Each of our publications are delivered at different times. View when you can expect each of our publications to be delivered to you.View Publishing Schedule
- About Agora Financial
- Agora Financial Reserve Memberships
- Credit Card Statement Information
- Emails from Agora Financial
- Exchanges (Coinbase & Bittrex)
- Frequent Investment Questions
- Fund Transfers
- General Crypto Questions
- Getting Started with my Subscription
- My Account Information
- My Privacy
- Need More Help?
- Orders and Payments
- Publications and Editors
- Refund Policies
- Subscription Renewal
- Using the Website
- Wallets (Trezor)